Friends of the Wickenburg Library
The mission of the Friends of Wickenburg Library, a 501c(3) nonprofit organization, is to stimulate interest in, and provide support to, the Wickenburg Public Library.
Founded in 1996, Friends of the Wickenburg Library formed when Wickenburg was developing a long range plan for the library. Residents voted to maintain the library as a community resource under Town management.
Today, Friends provide financial and volunteer support by underwriting arts/reading/craft and summer reading programs, supporting special events, financing book purchases and all magazine subscription costs, sponsoring authors and guest speakers, and organizing/coordinating book sale and other fundraising events.
In 2018, Friends submitted a library expansion project for the Town of Wickenburg's participatory budget; the community voted for this project - to develop a year-round adult "quiet" reading area, away from the busy circulation desk and to offer space for group meetings and library programs. The project was revised to remodel the outdoor patio area due to budget limitations. Friends is contributing $15,000 towards the completion of this project. The area is to be furnished with lighting, ceiling fans, comfortable tables and chairs, etc. Completion is expected early 2023.
President - Kathi Okrasa
Vice President - Dianne Huth
Secretary - Gina Hebert
Treasurer - Patty Sickles
Join the Friends
Interested in Joining the Friends?
Stop by a meeting, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at (206) 255-4966.
Free to join.
Friends Meeting Schedule
Meetings are held in the Library conference room on the following days:
December 7, 2023 @ 11:00am
January 11, 2024 @ 3:00pm
Friends of Wickenburg Library hosts several functions during the year:
- October to April Craft Fair. Friends sponsors a craft fair on the second Saturday at Stone Park by the library from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. 20-30 vendors participate. At the Friends' booth, books and library swag are sold by volunteer members who share the mission and recruit.
- Book Sales. Throughout the year, Friends offers books for sale at the library. These are donations not needed for the library collection and include both hard and soft cover best seller books, children's books, DVDs, magazines, and more.
- Tribute/Memorial Donations. Friends offers a program for the community to donate a tribute or memorial book to the library collection. The library staff maintain a "wish list" of publications and each book donated will have a customized book plate in the front to commemorate the person and occasion.
- Online Book Sales. Friends has several websites that are available to sell textbooks or older publications that may be valuable.
There are many ways to support Friends of Wickenburg Library:
- Join Friends! Participate at a level and in areas in which you feel comfortable!
- Donate Books/Videos. Library staff review all donations, retain items that enhance the collection, and give Friends the remainder to sell to the public.
Donations are accepted inside the Wickenburg Library during Library hours. We accept donations of hardback and paperback books, children's books, cookbooks, magazines, DVDs, and CDs. We regret we cannot accept materials that are damaged, smoke filled, missing covers, textbooks, or magazines more than a year old.
- Staff the Library Booth at the Craft Fair. Meet and greet the public. Share our mission, recruit new members, and sell books and library swag.
- Share Special Skills. Social media, event planning, public relations, photography, marketing - Friends could use your expertise.
- Lend Financial Support. Unable to volunteer but want to help? Restrict donations for a particular purpose or un-restrict to be applied to areas of greatest need. Checks payable to Friends of Wickenburg Library, P.O. Box 484, Wickenburg, AZ 85358-0484